Saturday 25 June 2011

Lily and (not so) mini orchids

The evening class that I was attending has come to an end :( This term we made a lily and mini orchids from flower paste and wired them into a spray. The course was a short one, just 5 weeks, so there was quite a bit to take in.

Jun, 2011 - Lily and Mini Orchids

I initially started making them with A Piece of Cake flower paste, but having used it before, I knew that I find it difficult to work with. I also noticed from the people I was sitting with how white the Squires Kitchen flower paste was so I decided to give it a try. I found it is so much easier to work with! I was very pleased with the results.

The lily petals were cut from a template and the mini orchids were cut using calyx and rose petal cutters. They were wired, dusted with colour and the wires wrapped in floristry tape.

So that is that! The lady who teaches the courses that I've been attending has decided to cut back on the amount of classes that she teaches so there will be no more Thursday nights learning cakey things. I have been looking online for other local[ish] courses and have found a City & Guilds Level 1 course in Loughborough so I'm just deciding whether to sign up or not. Enrolment starts tomorrow, the course starts in September. I spoke with the course tutor during the week and it what you learn sounds good, with a certificate at the end of each term if you 'achieve'. She also teaches a leisure class as well, but obviously there are no certificates with that one.

Lots to think about.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, what gorgeous flowers - they look so realistic & you got your dusting perfect on the lily - I struggle with lilies! I'm entirely self taught by the way, I've just got a ridiculous book collection. Alan Dunn, Eddie Spence and Paddi Clarke are my faves. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thank you! I definately need to get some practice in with the flowers, I really enjoy doing them so want to try lots of different species. I have Eddie Spence's book (fabulous!) and one of Paddi's and Alan's :) I might invest in a couple more of Alan's. I decided to go for the course, enrolled on the first time just to see how it goes. No doubt I'll be posting about it in September!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...