Saturday 5 November 2011

Cake International 2011

It's that time of year again.... Cake International at Birmingham's NEC!! I visited the exhibition yesterday, opting to go on the Friday again this year as I've heard that it is more quiet than the Saturday and Sunday.

Once I got over the sheer volume of people there - supposedly it wasn't that busy[!!] - I had a bit of a wander around the hall. Lots of stalls, as expected, however I wasn't able to get near them. Not even close! Way too many people for my liking. But, as I don't have money to burn at the moment, in a way it was better that I couldn't see all the goodies.

Instead, I headed over to the competition area. There were so many entries this year, more than I remember there being last year. So many fantastic pieces! I'm kind of glad that I missed the entry deadline, I saved myself some embarrassment! :) I might consider entering something next year.

The main downside that I find to going to the exhibition on the Friday is that the judging is taking place. This means that, as a member of the public, you can't get up close to the competition entries as the area is roped off for the judges. You can walk up and down the end of the display tables, but you don't get to see the ones in the middle closely. During the afternoon, as the judges finalised their decisions, some of the tables became more accessible so I was able to take a few snaps.

There are lots of different classes in the competition; novelty, sculpted novelty, decorated celebration cake, figurines, tiered wedding cakes, floral sprays, mini floral displays, international class, airbrush class, junior Christmas cake, junior birthday cake, pastillage masks etc etc. Such a wide variety to choose from. Out of all of the displays, I think the international table was my favourite.

Aside from the competition pieces, there were also several tables displaying the work of the British Sugarcraft Guild members, some from the different regions and a table for the forum members to display their work.

It wasn't until about mid-afternoon that the crowds became quieter. The stalls were easier to get to and I had a chance to watch Lorraine McKay in action modelling a face. I was very well behaved with my spending; the only things that I bought were two books - "Enchanting Magical Cakes" by Debbie Brown and "Cool Kidz Cakes" by Elaine Thomas - along with some tylo powder from Elaine's stall. Very reserved for a splurger like myself. I did gaze longingly at The Airbrush Company Ltd's stall though. Maybe one day...

Towards the end of my visit, I headed over to the Sugarcraft Online stall to introduce myself to Teresa and my assigned tutor, Susan. It was a great opportunity for me to meet them and have a chat. They were able to show me some of the works from other students that they had on display and talk me through some of the details of the Level 2 City & Guilds, which I hope to do in the future.

By about 3:30pm I was absolutely shattered so I wandered back to the train station and headed home. I think next year I might head over in the afternoon rather than fighting the crowds earlier in the day. This is only the second exhibition that I've been to, the first being Cake International last year. 

There will be three exhibitions held in 2012; Cake International at the Birmingham NEC along with the Squires Kitchen Annual Cake Decorating, Chocolate & Sugarcraft Exhibition in Farnham during March 2012 and the BSG International Sugarcraft Exhibition in Telford during May 2012. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to save to go to all three!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...