Sunday 1 May 2011

Project - April: hydrangeas

I am a member of the British Sugarcraft Guild [BSG] forum - I find it to be a great place to get help, advice and encouragement from like-minded people. And it is always nice to look at other peoples work and chat about cakes :)

Some of the BSG forum members take part in a monthly project. A topic or theme is decided and then whoever wants to take part completes the project within the month and posts a photograph of their work. This month, the topic was hydrangeas.

Apr 2011, Hydrangea Sugar Flowers


I decided that it was about time that I took part as it is the perfect opportunity for me to try something that I wouldn't have thought to try before [I'd never even heard of hydrangeas!]. Also, there are plenty of people on the forum that I can ask for help if I need it. I received great advice from some lovely people on the forum for this project, from what cutters to buy through to how to improve my techniques next time around.

To make these flower I followed the step-by-step [as best I could!] in issue 108 of the Cakes and Sugarcraft magazine, the article was written by Liz Finch who was kind enough to answer my questions that I had. I used A Piece of Cake white flowerpaste coloured with Sugarflair gel colours and later dusted with Sugarflair dusts, the Tinkertech Two Christmas rose cutters [I did order the hydrangea set however this was out of stock :( ], floristry wire in 28 and 30 gauge, floristry tape and Squires Kitchen edible glue. To vein the bracts, I used the Great Impressions hydrangea veiner, this is also a Squires Kitchen product.

I enjoyed making these flowers, although I can see where I need to improve. The bracts have no movement in them, I need to thin the flowerpaste more and give them more of a natural shape. I coloured the paste pink prior to making them, however on reflection, I would have rather left them white and coloured with the dusts. I think ultimately, I need to study flowers. I've never paid a great deal of attention to them, however if I want to be able to recreate realistic looking flowers, I will need to learn what they look like in the flesh!

The next project looks to be Ikebana - eeeeeekkk! :\ 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...