Saturday 30 April 2011

The Royal Wedding Cake

As the whole world knows, Prince William and Catherine Middleton were married yesterday at Westminister Abbey. Since my invitation went missing in the post, I resorted to watching the ceremony at home.

There were only two bits that I really wanted to see; the dress [it was beautiful] and the cake [obviously! ;)]. I was even more interested in the cake because it was a Leicestershire business woman called Fiona Cairns who was commissioned to make the cake for their special day. 

There had been a lot of talk in the press and amongst cake designers about what the cake would look like; Would it be royal iced? Would it be traditional or would Kate go for something more modern?

Well it turns out that Kate had a very clear idea of the wedding cake that she wanted. She requested that there be 17 different varieties of flowers and foliage which she had picked out for their meaning. This is known as the "Language of Flowers". It was 8 tiers high, made from 17 fruit cakes and was completed at Buckingham Palace by Fiona and her team. It has been reported that it took five weeks to make - not suprising when there were around 900 sugar flowers!

I really liked the cake. I thought it was very elegant and pretty without being too large or dominating the setting. The style of the design is something that is very appealing to me, if I were to choose a cake for myself, I do think that this style would be high on my list - although clearly not on this scale!

As well as the wedding cake, the couple also had a grooms' cake which was a childhood favourite of Prince William, a chocolate biscuit cake. The grooms' cake was made by Mcvitie's Cake Company using the Royal Family recipe, stood three tiers high and was decorated with white and milk chocolate water lillies, leaves and feathers.

The British Monarchy has uploaded some fabulous photographs from the day onto their Flickr photostream. You can view photographs of the wedding cake here, and photographs of the grooms' cake here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...