Sunday 10 April 2011

Let's make people

Thursday was the last of the sugarcraft classes for this term. The topic of the course was modelling, with the brief being "Let's Make People". Over the 10 weeks, we were to complete four projects using different methods and mediums in order to complete them

The first was to make a man sitting on an armchair out of marzipan. Using a 50/50 mixture of sugar paste and flower paste, we then made a child sitting on a rug. The third project was to make a person from one piece of paste, again using the 50/50 mixture. Unfortunately, I have no photographs of these, but they weren't very good so no one is missing out ;)

The final project was one of our own choice. We were to model a person using any of the techniques we had learned over the course. I chose to make a boy with a dog.


Apr, 2011 - Boy with dog, sugar model


Our tutor had said that if we had something coming up, a planned cake or event etc, then we could use this opportunity to make a model suited to the occassion.

I didn't have anything coming up and was a little stumped for ideas. I came across Lorraine McKay's website and chose to use one of her tutorials.


Apr, 2011 - Boy with dog, sugar model   Apr, 2011 - Boy with dog, sugar model


I really enjoyed making this model, it is by far the best one that I have made. Lorraine's step-by-step guide walks you through each little detail, complete with photographs, and is very easy to follow. I highly recommend it.

I did weigh out each bit of modelling paste, as per the instructions, which took time. That said, it meant that I had the proportions correct which I think was why this model was successful. I did attempt to make another dog by memory and without weighing the paste, but it didn't turn out very well.

All together, including colouring the paste, this project took me about 6 hours - something else to work on! Definately got to improve my speed when it comes to cake decorating, but I know that will come with time and practice.


So that is another evening course completed. I have signed up to the next one which starts in a months time. The project that we will be doing is sugar flowers, lillies and mini orchids. I'm excited about this one as I would really like to learn how to make different types of sugar flowers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...